So a few weeks ago I wrote something concerning water and how it is our precious natural resource. Recently, there has been an outbreak of Cholera in Zambia specifically Lusaka, which has resulted in over 60 deaths countrywide. Now, cholera is preventable and thus no one should die from a preventable disease. But the sad reality is cholera is real and still affects many, not only in Zambia. How can one protect themselves against cholera and other like diseases? Here are a few steps that can be taken to prevent cholera:
- Drink boiled or chlorinated water. Also use safe water for cooking.
- Wash your hands with soap every time you use the toilet and always before cooking.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating and cooking.
- Eat properly cooked food and ensure that the food is warm and kept covered.
- Ensure that your surroundings, especially the kitchen and bathrooms are kept clean all the time.
Please remember to go to the nearest clinic if you or anyone you know start experiencing any symptoms. Without treatment death can occur, and all life is precious. Take extra precautions to keep yourself safe.